What’s the best sanitizer alcohol content? Which is the correct sanitizer alcohol percentage?
60%-80% is the best.
Too high or low alcohol percentage is not good for hand sanitizer. Studies have found that less than 60% of the alcohol used in the hand sanitizer cannot achieve the purpose of sterilization. The alcohol concentration should be between 60% and 80% to achieve the sterilization or antibacterial effect. However, hand sanitizers with an alcohol concentration of more than 60% will cause damage to the skin if they are used for a long time without skin protectants.
Ethanol disinfectant hygiene standards
The hygiene standards for ethanol disinfectants stipulate the raw material requirements and technical requirements, application scope, use methods, inspection methods, signs and packaging, transportation and storage, labels and instructions and precautions of ethanol disinfectants. It is suitable for ethanol disinfectants made with ethanol as the main raw material, including disinfectants that are compatible with surfactants, food colorings, skin care ingredients and food flavors. It is not suitable for disinfectants compounded with ethanol and other bactericidal ingredients, nor for disinfectants using ethanol as a solvent.
Raw material requirements
The ethanol used in the formula should meet the requirements of ethanol in “Medicines of the People’s Republic of China”; those using edible ethanol as raw materials should meet the requirements of GB10343. The production water should be deionized water. Other components in the formula should comply with relevant national standards and regulations (including purity specifications, etc.). The disinfectant used for hand and skin disinfection shall not use industrial-grade raw materials.
Sensory traits Colorless,
clear and transparent liquid, no impurities, no precipitation, with the inherent smell of ethanol.
Hand sanitizer alcohol percentage, physical and chemical indicators
The ethanol content is 70%~80% (body points). Hand sanitizer alcohol concentration
The complete package of disinfectant should be valid for ≥ 12 months under the specified storage conditions of the product.
Hand sanitizer alcohol content to be effective have to meet the below standards
Kill Ao biological indicators
According to the requirements of the product manual, dilute to the dosage specified in the manual, and test according to the quantitative sterilization test method in the “Disinfection Technical Specifications” (2002 Edition) of the Ministry of Health, and its sterilization effect should meet the requirements of Table 1.
Logarithmic value of disinfection
Sanitary hand disinfection
Surgical hand disinfection
It is mainly used for hand and skin disinfection, but also for surface disinfection of clinical thermometers, sphygmomanometers and other medical instruments and precision instruments.
Not suitable for air disinfection and immersion disinfection of medical equipment.
Instructions/How to use
For sanitary hand disinfection, spray the disinfectant evenly on the hands or rub it on the hands 1-2 times for 1 min, and wipe the surgical hands twice for 3 min. For skin disinfection, spray the disinfectant evenly on the skin surface, or rub it on the skin surface twice for 3 minutes. Disinfect the entire surface, spray the disinfectant evenly on the surface of the object to keep it moist or wipe the surface of the object for 2 minutes. Disinfection of the temperature gauge, completely apply the temperature gauge to the disinfectant for 30 minutes.
Density Bottle Method
- principle The non-volatile substances in the sample are removed by distillation, the density of the sample (aqueous alcohol solution) at 20°C is measured by the density flask method, and the volume fraction of the ethanol content at 20°C is obtained by looking up the table, which is the alcohol content.
2.1 All-glass distiller: 500mL.
2.2 Constant temperature water bath: temperature control accuracy ±0.1℃.
2.3 Density bottle with thermometer: 25mL or 50mL.
- Preparation of sample solution
Use a dry and clean 100mL volumetric flask, accurately measure 100mL of the sample (liquid temperature 20℃) into a 500mL distillation flask, rinse the flask three times with 50mL of water, merge the washing liquid into the distillation flask, and add a few zeolite or glass beads , Connect the serpentine cooling tube, use the original volumetric flask used for sampling as the receiver (add ice bath), turn on the cooling water (cooling water temperature should be lower than 15℃), and slowly heat and distill (the distillation time after boiling should be controlled at 30min -40min), collect the distillate, when it is close to the mark, remove the volumetric flask, cap it, keep it in a 20℃ water bath for 30 minutes, add water to the mark, mix well, and set aside.
- Analysis step togetherWash the density bottle, dry and weigh repeatedly, until constant weight (m). Remove the bottle stopper with the thermometer, fill the constant weight density bottle with the water that has been boiled and cooled to 15℃, insert the bottle stopper with the thermometer (no bubbles in the bottle), and immediately immerse in a 20.0℃±1℃ constant temperature water bath After the temperature of the content reaches 20°C and keeps it unchanged for 20 minutes, quickly absorb the liquid overflowing the side tube with filter paper, immediately cover the small cover on the side branch, take out the density bottle, and wipe the outer wall of the bottle with filter paper. Water liquid, weigh immediately (m1). Pour out the water, first rinse the density bottle with absolute ethanol, then with ether, blow dry (or dry in an oven), rinse the density bottle 3 to 5 times with the sample solution, and then fill it up. Repeat the above operation and weigh (m2).
- Result calculation The relative density of the sample solution (20°C) is calculated by the following formula. Where: ——The relative density of the sample solution (20℃); m2——the mass of the density bottle and the sample liquid, the unit is g; m ——the mass of the density bottle, the unit is g; m1——The mass of density bottle and water, in g. According to the relative density of the sample, look up the table to obtain the alcohol content of the sample at 20°C. The result is expressed to one decimal place.
- Precision The absolute difference between two independent determination results obtained under repeatability conditions should not exceed 0.5% of the average.
- Principle The principle of the alcohol hydrometer should be designed according to the principle of the density meter. We know that the density of ethanol is less than that of water, and the higher the corresponding alcohol (ethanol) degree, the lower the density of the wine and the lower the buoyancy. . The alcohol meter calculates the ethanol content based on this difference.
Use a precision alcohol meter to read the alcohol volume fraction indication, check the table for temperature correction, and obtain the volume fraction of ethanol content at 20°C, which is the alcohol content.
- instrument Precision equipment
Alcohol Hydrometer: The division value is 0.1%vol.
- Analysis steps
Pour the sample solution (prepared by the density bottle method) into a clean, dry measuring cylinder, and let it stand for a few minutes. After the bubbles in the wine disappear, put it in a clean and dry alcohol meter and press it lightly again, without touching the measuring cylinder Insert a thermometer into the wall at the same time, balance for about 5 minutes, observe horizontally, read the scale indication at the tangent to the meniscus, and record the temperature at the same time. According to the measured value and temperature of the alcohol meter, look up the table and convert it to the alcohol content of the sample at 20°C. The result should be expressed to one decimal place.
The absolute difference between two independent determination results obtained under repeatability conditions should not exceed 0.5% of the average.
Disinfectant for external use should not be taken orally, and should be kept out of reach of children.
Flammable, keep away from fire.
Store in a cool, dry, and ventilated place sealed and kept away from light.
Not suitable for surface disinfection of fat-soluble objects.
|hand sanitizer alcohol concentration|
|minimum alcohol content for hand sanitizer|
|percentage of alcohol in sanitizer|
|hand sanitizer minimum alcohol content|
|alcohol percentage in sanitizer|
- Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China. GB/T 26373-2010 Hygienic Standard for Ethanol Disinfectants[S]. Beijing. China Standard Press. 2010